As construction sites spring up all over Illinois, so do construction site accidents — which can involve both construction workers and anybody who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 158 fatal work accidents in Illinois during 2019, and the booming construction industry right now means that more fatalities and injuries are likely to come.
What are the top four dangers on a construction site?
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) says construction site injuries and fatalities fall into four categories:
- Falls: Falling from a height is first on OSHA’s list. Many reasons cause falls. Scaffolding that collapsed, slippery walking surface, faulty ladders and stairs, lack of handrails are just a few examples.
- Struck-by objects: Being impacted by falling or flying objects is the second most common construction accident according to OSHA.
- Electric shock: Construction workers are exposed to high voltage regularly. When contact with electricity is made, electrocution injuries can occur.
- Caught in-between object: The final category can also come in many forms:
- Being caught between machinery and a fixed object
- Excavation cave-ins
- Being pulled into unguarded machinery by limbs, hair, or clothing
While these are far from the only hazards you can face on or near a construction site, they are considerable.
Five examples of negligence on a construction site
To have a valid personal injury claim, negligence must be established. If an injury on a construction site is found to be caused by negligence, it might fall into one of the following categories:
- Defective items or dangerous equipment
- Premise liability claims
- OSHA violations
- Improperly secured items
- Lack of proper safety equipment or safety protocols
Some construction accidents result in personal injury claims, others fall under workers´ compensation. Some incidents may actually involve both a workers’ comp claim and a third-party civil lawsuit, depending on the situation. For someone not experienced in knowing the rules surrounding construction claims, it can be confusing. Construction accidents can be devastating to everyone involved. Find out more about your legal options today.