What are the top causes of construction accidents?
For many people, working in the construction industry is a dream come true. It’s a fast-paced environment in which they’re working with their hands day in and day out.
While there’s no denying the benefits of this career path, nothing is more important than your health and well-being. And that’s why you should have a full understanding of the top causes of construction accidents.
- Fall from height: Depending on your job responsibilities, you could be at risk of a fall from height. For instance, if you work as a roofer, you spend a good portion of your day well above ground level. Protecting against a fall from height, such as by using a safety harness, is critical.
- Slip and fall: You don’t have to fall from height to suffer a serious injury. A slip and fall on the ground, such as the result of debris or a piece of equipment, can cause just as much bodily harm.
- Worker fatigue: Maybe you become so tired that you get lazy with your work, thus increasing the risk of an accident. Or maybe a co-worker goes down this path. Everyone working on a construction site must be 100% alert.
- Heavy machinery and tools: You’re likely to find yourself using or working in close proximity to heavy machinery and/or tools. Don’t operate machinery or tools unless you’re qualified and trained to do so.
- Vehicle accidents: You could be part of an accident while driving a vehicle, such as a dump truck, or simply working in close proximity to one. Vehicle accidents, even at a low speed, have the potential to be deadly.
There is no way to guarantee your safety when working on a construction site, but knowledge of common causes of accidents can help you prepare for anything that comes your way.
If you’re injured in a construction accident at work, report the incident to your supervisor and then seek medical treatment. Every move you make is intended to bring stability to your life, both in regard to your health and finances. As you begin to recover, you should turn your attention to your legal rights and how to protect them.